With a population of 1.5 million, it’s somewhat surprising that there are fewer than 10 certified foot and ankle surgeons in Palm Beach County.
Lower leg health is critical to overall health. Conditions that develop in the feet and ankles can significantly impact quality of life. It doesn’t matter how old you are, what your occupation is, or even how active you are. If you’re suffering from pain, discomfort, or a recent injury, you need to have a medical team that you can trust to evaluate, diagnose, and treat the problem.
A foot and ankle doctor that is certified in foot and ankle surgery could restore your mobility and prevent serious complications from common and uncommon conditions.
Learn about treatments at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center, and enjoy specialist care from one of the few certified surgeons in Palm Beach County.
When Should You Visit a Surgical Foot and Ankle Doctor?
Most people will suffer from a foot or ankle condition at some stage in life. Many of the problems that develop are obvious. Sports injuries or serious pain and discomfort are impossible to overlook. However, there are other times when the problem will be less obvious. Some pain can be tolerated, and you might not immediately assume that something serious is happening.
The first thing to understand is that no form of pain or discomfort is normal. It’s time to visit a foot and ankle doctor when:
- You’ve suffered an injury while playing sports or performing physical activity. Pain, swelling, and bruising around the foot or ankle could indicate a sprain or broken bone.
- You have diabetes and are suffering from discomfort, tingling, numbness, or other abnormalities in the feet or ankles.
- You’ve lost mobility or the ability to perform specific functions like running, jumping, twisting, and pivoting.
- You experience mild, moderate, or severe heel pain in the mornings.
- You have any kind of persistent pain surrounding the feet, ankles, or lower legs.
- Your feet and legs feel uncomfortable or sore after long periods of standing or sitting.
- You notice changes in the appearance of your feet or ankles. Swelling, discoloration, or unusual bone protrusions under the skin could indicate a problem.
With careful evaluation of the symptoms, physical examination, or scanning through X-ray and other imaging techniques, a surgical foot and ankle doctor will identify the underlying cause and develop an effective treatment plan like Venaseal.
The causes of foot pain and discomfort are vast. It’s impossible to cover all the potential causes in one short article.
Some of the most common conditions that can be corrected by treatment or surgery include:
- Flat feet in younger patients or collapsed arches in older or highly active patients.
- Bunions that cause bone deformities. These can be surgically corrected.
- Sports injuries like sprains and fractures. Surgery is sometimes needed for bones and ligaments.
- Tendon disorders. Minor procedures can correct strained tendons.
- Hammertoes caused by muscle and ligament imbalance. Rigid hammertoes can be corrected with minor surgery.
Don’t Take Foot and Ankle Health for Granted
Moderately active adults can take an average of up to 5,340 steps per day. Those who are highly active in sports or other activities take even more.
While you might be tempted to push through pain and discomfort, this is never a good idea. If a problem worsens, you could lose some of your mobility, taking away the ability to enjoy the things that you love. Even simple activities like going to work, grocery shopping, or spending time with family could become difficult.
With early detection of problems and effective treatment through surgery or other methods, you will protect your mobility and health.
With a surgical foot and ankle doctor, you’ll get the care and expert treatment that you need.
Schedule a Consultation with a Doctor
Dr. Schoenhaus has a wealth of experience in foot, rear foot, and ankle reconstruction. She is a recognized leader in foot pad cushioning to treat fat pad atrophy in patients.
Dr. Gold has a special interest in pediatric and sports medicine and has completed countless procedures including fracture repairs, joint replacement, bunion surgery, and flat foot reconstruction. Dr. Gold is well known for his treatment of professional athletes including professional golfers, MLB, and NFL players.
Book your consultation with the most experienced surgical team. Your local foot and ankle doctors have the experience and certifications to ensure swift diagnosis, treatment, and recovery with outstanding results.