The Benefits of Minimally Invasive Foot Surgery with a Foot Doctor in Boynton Beach
Advances in the field of medicine have allowed for better patient outcomes, shorter downtime and recovery, and less pain during procedures. Minimally invasive foot surgery techniques are employed by The Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center for a range of conditions, including hammertoes, calluses, bunions, fibula fractures, flat feet, Jones fractures, ankle arthroscopy, heel pain, and more.
Understanding the benefits of minimally invasive surgery will help you to make an informed decision after your consultation with foot and ankle doctors in Boynton Beach.
Benefits Your Podiatrist Can Offer with Non-Invasive Surgery
There are several key benefits enjoyed when electing to have minimally invasive surgery in Florida.
- Cosmetic benefits: Because minimally invasive surgery uses smaller instruments, incisions are notably smaller than traditional surgery. Scars are less prominent and some can be almost invisible. Even if scars can be identified upon close inspection, they won’t have the harsh bumpy edges left by those in some traditional surgeries.
- Increased suitability: Some medical conditions can make patients unlikely candidates for traditional surgery. Minimally invasive surgery allows patients a quicker recovery and returns to normal activities sooner.
- Less pain: Overall, reduced pain is common with minimally invasive surgery. It decreases post-procedure discomfort and reduces the need for painkiller medications.
- Surgical procedures are typically shorter: Recovery time can also be improved because incisions are smaller and less soft tissue damage is caused during surgery. Note that full recovery time won’t always be reduced, especially when major biomechanical alterations are made within the foot or ankle.
Minimally invasive surgery is preferred in most cases if the patient is healthy and the technique is suited to the procedure. Learn more about the types of surgeries that can be performed by our board-certified podiatrists in Boynton Beach below.
Common Types of Non-Invasive Surgeries
Minimally invasive techniques can’t be applied to all forms of surgery. Some suitable and fairly common non-invasive procedures include:
- Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy: Endoscopic plantar fasciotomy can treat plantar fasciitis, a type of heel pain caused by tightness of the fascia. This outpatient procedure can be completed in under 30 minutes using minimally invasive surgery. The use of an endoscope (surgical camera) and a medical device allows the plantar fascia to be cut, relieving pain and tension.
- Ankle Arthroscopy: Ankle arthroscopy is a type of joint surgery used to treat ligament and cartilage injuries, ankle arthritis, bone spurs, and other conditions that cause ankle pain. Incisions can be as small as 1cm when the procedure is performed by a specialist. Medical instruments are used to repair cartilage and ligaments, remove scar tissue, or eliminate fragments in joints as necessary.
- Tenotomy: Tenotomy can treat crooked toes and hammertoes that are caused by tendon and muscle imbalance. Tight tendons are released through minimally invasive surgery, leading to almost immediate relief and straightening of toes. No stitches are required for this minimally invasive procedure.
If you’re suffering from pain, it’s time to talk to your foot and ankle doctor in Boynton Beach. Even if surgery is necessary to treat an underlying condition, minimally invasive techniques may be available
Schedule a Consultation with a Podiatrist in Boynton Beach
Whether it’s a minimally invasive surgery, traditional surgery, physical therapy, or another form of treatment, you can get the best care at The Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center in Boynton Beach. We perform foot surgeries and treat foot fractures, ankle fractures, bunions, soft tissue conditions, and all forms of injury or deformity.
Our procedures are designed to minimize pain, discomfort, and recovery times. Cosmetic damage is minimized so that you can feel confident about your appearance as you enjoy a life that is free of foot and ankle pain.
Book your consultation now to learn about your surgical and non-surgical options from our board-certified podiatrists.