Our Foot are nothing short of biomechanical masterpieces. Offering strength, flexibility, and a foundation for the entire body, we often take our feet for granted. The components within the feet work together and take on a significant amount of stress. Simply taking a walk can combine tons of weight-bearing on all the individual components, so it’s unsurprising to learn that the feet are more susceptible to injury than any other part of the body.
Foot injuries and ailments are common. Thankfully, you can get a diagnosis and effective treatment from your local podiatrist in Boca Raton or Boynton Beach. Learn about some of the most common foot problems treated at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center, and schedule an appointment with a podiatrist today.
Turf toe is a common arthritic condition that affects the great toe joint. When the cartilage erodes over time, motion and rigidity become limited. The warnings signs include pain and stiffness that often occurs after sports, wearing tight footwear like heels, or after daily activities like standing or walking. Previous trauma can also lead to turf toe.
Conservative care can include treating the symptoms with icing, cortisone injections, and custom orthotics. Surgical procedures like decompression osteotomies, total joint implants, and cheilectomy can be used to correct or replace damaged biomechanical elements.
A neuroma is a pinched nerve, usually between the metatarsal bones, that causes swelling and thickening. Symptoms of neuromas are pain and discomfort, which typically worsen over time. You may feel like you’re standing on pebbles or that there is a lump in your shoe. Pain in the ball of the foot, tingling, and a lack of sensation in the toes can occur when nerves are damaged.
Your podiatrist Boca Raton can diagnose neuromas with a physical examination, ultrasound, and MRI imaging. Treatment can include surgery to remove swollen sections of the nerve. Conservative therapies include orthotics or a change in footwear.
Some of the most common foot conditions occur in the toes. Some of the toe conditions treated by your podiatrist Boca Raton and Boynton Beach include:
- Corns – Thick layers of skin that develop from continued pressure and rubbing.
- Hammer Toes – Progressive deformities that result in a loss of motion and pain.
- Large or Misshapen Toes – Toes that are embarrassingly large or oddly formed can be treated with surgical or conservative methods.
Toe conditions can typically be treated with outpatient surgeries or procedures to improve the appearance and restore a full range of motion while eliminating pain.
Most soft tissue conditions of the toes and feet aren’t critical, but they can cause pain, discomfort, and embarrassment. Some common soft tissue conditions you can treat with your Boynton Beach or Boca Raton podiatrist are:
- Soft Tissue Masses – These visibly protrude under the skin and can be treated with minor surgery.
- Moles, Warts, Skin Tags, Etc. – Cosmetic imperfections can be analyzed and safely removed by your foot doctor Boynton Beach.
- Xerosis – This dry skin condition leads to scaling and itching. Specialized emollient creams are supplied by your podiatrist.
- Fissures and Cracked Heels – These sometimes painful and unsightly issues can be treated with chemical peels and moisturizers.
- Hyperhidrosis – Excess sweating in the feet can be treated with Botox® therapy.
- Nail Care – Problems like ingrown nails, fungal nails, and painful malformed nails can be addressed with a medical pedicure.
Gout is one of the common foot problems treated by your foot doctor in South Florida. Gout is a common form of arthritis caused by excess uric acid in the blood. Symptoms like sudden pain and swelling in the great toe joint, ankle joint, Achilles tendon, and mid-foot are common. The pain can be particularly intense and medical intervention is necessary.
This common foot problem is treated by your podiatrist with solutions like prescribed medication and cortisone injections. Medications can treat the symptoms and, in some cases, prevent future attacks.
Treat Common Foot Problems with Your Podiatrist
You can get diagnosis and treatment for common foot problems at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center. We have clinics in Boca Raton and Boynton Beach. Our talented podiatrists are available for your consultation today.