Fat pad cushioning atrophy is a relatively common condition in South Florida, and when looking at the causes, it’s not hard to understand why. The average person takes around 7,500 steps per day, even with moderate physical activity. This places significant pressure on the balls and heels of both feet.
Over time, particularly after the age of 50, the fat pads in the feet can start to wear down. It is estimated that the average person will lose 50% of the volume in their fat pads by this age. The condition can be incredibly painful and for some people it is debilitating.
Thankfully, there is a treatment, with fat pad cushioning Boca Raton being able to restore the feet to eliminate pain and increase mobility.
If you or someone you care about is suffering from fat pad atrophy, you’ll be relieved to learn that you can get treatment from a foot doctor Boca Raton.
What Causes Fat Pad Atrophy?
Anybody is at risk of developing atrophy in the fat pads of the feet. The likelihood and severity of the condition can increase with age, and there are other key factors to keep in mind.
Movement and pressure are the underlying causes of atrophy. Fat pads are more likely to degrade if:
- You work in an occupation or engage in lifestyle activities that include long periods of standing on hard surfaces.
- You suffer from diabetes.
- You are overweight or obese.
- You have rheumatoid arthritis.
- You have vascular disease or autoimmune conditions.
- You have any disorder that reduces collagen in the body.
- You engage in frequent sports or athletic events that include running or walking.
- You often wear footwear with thin soles, including flip flops and high heels.
- You have suffered from an orthopedic condition like high arches, hammertoes, Morton’s Neuroma, or plantar fasciitis.
The more active you are, the more steps you take, and the more pressure that is applied to your feet will increase the chances of fat pad degradation and atrophy.
What are the Symptoms That Indicate You Need Fat Pad Cushioning Boca Raton?
Not everyone who suffers from atrophy will need treatment for fat pad cushioning Boca Raton. In some cases, the loss of the fat pad is minimal, and there will be no detectable discomfort or pain.
However, if you suffer from frequent symptoms, it’s recommended that you seek advice from a podiatrist Boca Raton to recommend the best action moving forward.
Common symptoms of significant fat pad cushioning loss include:
- Pain at the ball or heel of the foot, especially when walking or standing.
- Pain when walking barefoot on solid surfaces.
- Significant pain as the heel contacts the ground.
- Development of calluses at the ball or heel of the foot.
- The ability to feel the bones of the feet prominently through the fat pads.
These symptoms can range from mild to severe. For some people, there’s a sensation of constantly walking on pebbles. Others experience significant pain, which limits mobility and decreases quality of life.
Because most people who suffer from atrophy are older, it’s important that treatment is effective. Losing mobility in your golden years can take away from the enjoyment that you would otherwise look forward to during retirement.
How a Foot Doctor Boca Raton Can Restore Fat Pad Cushioning
There are three effective methods utilized for fat pad cushioning Boca Raton. Our highly experienced podiatrists will evaluate your needs, the severity of your condition and other factors to determine which is right for you.
- Injectable fillers are commonly used for fat pad cushioning Boca Raton and Boynton Beach. These fillers have been successfully applied as treatments for more than 20 years. There’s little downtime with this procedure, and the results are almost immediate. You can walk in and out of our specialty practice with cushioned feet like you haven’t felt in years.
- Fat pad transfer is another treatment that can be performed by a podiatrist Boca Raton. This involves transplanting fat from another part of the body (such as the stomach or buttocks) to replace lost fat pad cushioning. There is a longer recovery time associated with this procedure, due to its surgical nature. However, the results are long-lasting, and depending on age, it may be the only treatment that you need.
- Fat pad surgery may also be performed in conjunction with another treatment. A tissue graft can be placed under the skin to provide additional padding and relieve the symptoms of fat pad atrophy.
Talk to a Trusted Podiatrist Boca Raton
The podiatrists at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center are ready to provide diagnosis and effective treatment options to restore fat pad cushioning Boca Raton.
Dr. Jodi Schoenhaus and Dr. Jason Gold have extensive experience in treating painful conditions of the feet and lower legs and have a reputation for truly impressive results.
You don’t have to suffer the frequent pain and discomfort that comes from fat pad atrophy. Contact a specialist foot doctor Boca Raton and explore your options for affordable and effective treatments.