If you are on your feet frequently or you are an athlete who runs or walks a lot, you may know that having blisters is often an uncomfortable and sometimes painful experience. These irritants usually result from a combination of friction, heat, and moisture on your skin, especially your feet. If left untreated or unattended, blisters may worsen over time and may create greater health risks. However, preventing blisters on the feet is quite straightforward and there are measures you can take to lessen the impact of the factors that cause blisters.
Managing blisters is really up to you, and it is important that you be proactive rather than reactive in dealing with this problem. You have many prevention options that are available to you. However, you should note that no one method works for everyone and you should see what works best for you.
When dealing with blisters, you have many prevention choices, such as:
- Wearing socks that have moisture prevention features and are seamless
- Applying powders that help to reduce moisture and friction and lubricants that soothe your feet
- Utilizing tape that separates your feet and socks and reduces friction
- Applying liquid bandage to areas of your feet that are prone to develop blisters prior to putting your shoes on
- Softening your skin by using lotions and creams, especially on feet that have calluses and are dry
- Wearing orthotics and pads that help to support and realign your feet, correct imbalances and provide cushioning for pressure points.
The good news is that blisters no longer need to be the norm. Preventing blisters on the feet can be achieved with the above methods. You can also prevent blisters from occurring by wearing proper footwear, changing socks on a regular basis, and using medical treatments such as powders, ointments, and orthotics. Speak to your podiatrist in Boca Raton if you are experiencing intense pain from your blisters, as your feet may require medical attention.