For many patients, rest, icing, elevation, compression, rehabilitation, and even drug treatment is not enough to overcome foot and ankle pain. For highly active people that engage in sports, or that need to restore their mobility as quickly as possible, platelet rich plasma (PRP) injections can be an effective treatment method.
Your podiatrist Boynton Beach can administer PRP therapy to help speed the recovery process and eliminate foot and ankle pain.
It’s common for both athletes and everyday people to receive PRP injections for conditions like:
- Sprains: Ankle sprains are often caused by falls or awkward twisting or rolling of the ankle. They can cause swelling, pain, bruising, stiffness, and a loss of mobility.
- Arthritis: A common condition that often develops with age. Arthritis can cause joint pain, swelling, redness, and a reduced range of motion.
- Tendinosis: A chronic condition that causes pain at the site of an old or improperly treated injury.
- Plantar Fasciitis: A common condition that affects more than 3 million Americans every year. Inflammation in the ligament between the heel and toes causes pain and discomfort.
- Ligament Injuries: The ligaments in the foot and ankle hold bones together and allow normal movement. A sprain is caused by stretched and torn ligaments.
- Tendon Injuries: Overuse of a joint can cause inflammation or even tearing of a tendon in the worst case. Often treated with anti-inflammatory drugs, PRP therapy can also be used to hasten recovery from a tendon injury.
- Pulled Muscles: Pulled muscles can cause pain, stiffness, and a loss of athletic performance.
- Postoperative Pain: It’s normal to experience some pain after surgery with your foot doctor Boynton Beach. PRP therapy can limit pain and improve recovery.
If you are suffering from pain or inflammation in your foot or ankle, you can talk to your podiatrist Boynton Beach about PRP therapy. When combined with proper care and treatment, it can fast track your recovery and allow you to enjoy everyday activities without pain or discomfort.
How PRP Therapy Can Be Used to Treat Common Foot and Ankle Conditions
Plasma is one of the major components of blood. It transports white blood cells, red blood cells, and the platelets that help your blood to clot. It also transports other essential cellular compounds around your body. Because plasma carries proteins, it is essential to the cell-building process.
Platelet rich plasma is a type of enriched plasma that contains higher concentrations of proteins, platelets, and other beneficial cellular compounds.
During PRP therapy, your podiatrist Boynton Beach will draw some of your blood, concentrate the plasma and enhance it with beneficial compounds, and then reinject it back into the body. The doctor achieves this using a centrifuge that spins blood vials to separate the different layers of cells and plasma
The highly concentrated mixture can be supplemented with compounds like calcium chloride or thrombin. These are used to stimulate the platelets so that the plasma works faster when it is injected into a site of injury.
Things move quickly when your podiatrist Boynton Beach recommends PRP therapy. If you agree to the procedure, your doctor will:
Draw a small amount of blood to be processed in a centrifuge to separate platelet rich plasma.
- Combine the plasma with beneficial additives if necessary. These will be covered during your consultation.
- Numb the site to be treated using a local anesthetic.
- Inject the platelet rich plasma. For some injuries, more than one injection across the site of the injury will be needed. This is most common with muscle injuries.
- An ultrasound may be used to ensure that the right areas are treated during the procedure.
PRP therapy takes around 30 minutes to complete in most cases, although this time can vary depending on the type of injury.
Your podiatrist Boynton Beach will step you through the entire process in advance, so you’ll know exactly what to expect. There are typically no side effects of platelet rich therapy because the treatment is developed using your own blood.
You should rest for up to two days after the surgery, and avoid washing the injected area for at least 24 hours. Specific aftercare instructions will be provided by your foot doctor Boynton Beach.
Talk to Your Podiatrist Boynton Beach if You’re Suffering From Pain or a Slow Healing Injury
Professional athletes often use PRP Injections therapy to limit downtime after an injury, but the treatment is not just for professionals. PRP injections can benefit anyone with faster healing time, reduced pain, and better outcomes after surgery and other procedures.
If you’re suffering from any kind of foot or ankle injury and want to explore your options, it’s time to talk to your podiatrist Boynton Beach.
Call the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center today to schedule a consultation and find out how PRP therapy could benefit you.