In case you were wondering, ailments like bunions, varicose veins and spider veins are some of the most common foot ailments bothering people outside of Boca Raton too. In fact, over half of all women and just about half of all men in the United States struggle with some sort of vein concern, one of the leading problems being spider veins. About half of American adults over the age of 50 struggle with varicose veins, as well.
These types of vein issues predominately affect the legs, and these aren’t the only woes to affect the lower half of the adult body. According to recent polls from the Institute for Preventative Foot Health, about 80 percent of adults over the age of 21 have experienced a medical problem with their feet. That makes foot pain one of the most common types of ailments that American adults cope with.
Bunions, Sprained Ankles and Spider Veins in Boca Raton
The predominance of foot pain among American adults led researchers to question what the most common type of foot ailments are. The results are in, and the most common foot conditions are as follows:
- Ankle Sprain: Whether from a fall, a misstep or another form of accident, over 30 percent of the adult population in the US will sprain their ankle at least once. Ankle sprains require medical treatment, so if you think you have sprained your ankle don’t hesitate to contact Dr. Schoenhaus.
- Blisters: Another ailment caused by poor fitting footwear, blisters develop on our toes, heels and the top of the foot. About 28 percent of the population reports experiencing blisters at least once.
- Calluses: Calluses are a big problem in Boca Raton and the rest of South Florida, mostly thanks to our prevalence of wearing sandals. Calluses will naturally dissipate when you remove that area of your foot from the constant rubbing that caused the buildup, so better footwear often helps.
- Fatigue: It might not sound like too much of an ailment, but generally achy feet are a common concern among American adults. Whether your foot pain comes from wearing poor shoes, being on your feet too long or another cause, soaking your feet in carbonated water or massaging oil on your feet can help.
- Athletes Foot: About 20 percent of the population experiences the itching and burning of athletes foot at least once in their lives. This condition is highly contagious and often develops when people where closed shoes with wet feet—either from being sweaty or running through puddles. Athlete’s foot causes painful blisters to develop and requires medical treatment to fully heal.
Some of the Other most common foot ailments include hammertoes, bunions, diabetic neuropathy and chronic heel pain. Whatever type of foot or leg pain you are experiencing, whether it is as a result of one of the listed conditions or due to spider or varicose veins, there is no reason to live with the pain. Contact your foot, ankle and vein specialist to find out what treatment options are available for you.