Varicose veins affect a significant portion of the American population. Although they can occur in both males and females in adulthood, they most often develop in women who have been through pregnancy and childbirth.
No matter your situation, you can get effective relief and treatment for varicose veins at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center. Under the specialist care of our vein doctor Boynton Beach, you can become pain and discomfort-free, with significant cosmetic improvement.
What are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are the enlarged and twisted veins that appear near the surface of the skin. They most commonly develop in the legs and around the ankles. While usually only cosmetic in nature, these veins can sometimes lead to swelling, discomfort, tingling, and pain in advanced cases.
Typical symptoms can include:
- Dark blue or purple veins that are prominent, twisted, or swollen.
- Clustering of large veins.
- Pain, itching, or burning in the legs.
- Bleeding from veins in advanced cases.
Aside from pregnancy and subsequent childbirth, there are several factors that can lead to the development of varicose veins. Your genetics and family history are factors. Standing for long periods may increase your risk. Being overweight or remaining sedentary can also cause varicose veins.
At the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center, our Boynton Beach foot doctor will perform a full examination to diagnose varicose veins and recommend a treatment method. Radiofrequency ablation is one of the most effective treatments available through a vein doctor Boynton Beach.
Radiofrequency Ablation – How is it Performed?
The method of radiofrequency ablation uses heat to close off superficial veins that are close to the skin’s surface. When veins are closed, blood flow is naturally rerouted through healthy veins, and the closed vein eventually reabsorbs into the skin.
- Before the procedure is performed, your vein doctor Boynton Beach will use an ultrasound scan to map out your veins and identify the area of treatment.
- Your skin will be marked to indicate where an incision will be made to access the affected vein or veins.
- The skin is sterilized, and a local anesthetic is applied to prevent pain and discomfort during the procedure.
- Your doctor will make an incision and will insert a catheter into the vein that will be treated. Another dosage of local anesthetic will be injected into the vein to cause compression and prevent heat from traveling beyond the area of treatment.
- A medical radiofrequency device is inserted and turned on to heat the vein and close it from within. The catheter is slowly removed to guide the device, treating the vein as it travels outwards.
- When the vein is fully treated, another ultrasound will be performed to check that the vein was closed.
- The vein will form scar tissue over time, before fading away.
The treatment is relatively quick, and pain is minimal following the procedure. Most patients don’t feel any pain during radiofrequency ablation.
Recovery After Radiofrequency Ablation from your Vein Doctor Boynton Beach
One of the most significant benefits of this treatment is that you can quickly get back to your daily routine following the procedure. Recovery guidelines can vary from patient to patient. Your foot doctor Boynton Beach will offer specific advice in your case.
The following are some general examples of what to expect during the recovery period.
- Most people return to normal activity within four days of the procedure.
- Patients who work in strenuous jobs that involve standing, lifting or intense physical activity will need to wait longer before returning to work. Your doctor will provide guidance for your unique circumstances.
- It’s important to walk for 15 to 30 minutes every day following the procedure.
- Legs should be elevated when sitting.
- Standing for long periods should be avoided.
- Dressing should remain on for up to three days, or until the first follow-up visit as recommended by your doctor.
- Compression stockings should be worn for the first two days and during active periods of the day for the first two weeks.
What are the Risks of Complication?
Radiofrequency ablation comes with few risks. When you visit the best vein doctor Boynton Beach, the chances of experiencing negative side effects are significantly reduced.
Some patients may experience:
- Blood clots.
- Excessive bruising.
- Skin Infection.
- Skin darkening.
Any discoloration, ongoing numbness, and tingling should be referred to a vein doctor Boynton Beach. At the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center, you will be advised about possible complications and what to do if you notice any warning signs.
Talk to a Specialist Foot Doctor Boynton Beach Today
Radiofrequency ablation could be the perfect way to treat your varicose veins. However, all cases are different, and there are various options that you can explore at the Foot, Ankle & Leg Vein Center.
Talk to us today to schedule your consultation and take the first step towards treatment. You can remove the veins that are taking away your confidence or causing pain and discomfort. With highly experienced spider and varicose vein experts, you will receive the best care and most advanced treatments that are approved today.
Call us on 561-750-3033 for your appointment.