If you suffer from foot pain, you are not alone. Many people deal with a wide range of issues that cause them great discomfort. Below are some of the most common foot issues:
- Bone spurs are calcium deposits that develop on the feet. They are often caused by muscle strain. Standing for long periods and being overweight can make them much worse, and ultimately painful. They are often treated through orthopedic devices or surgery.
- Ingrown toenails can develop when you do not cut your toe nails properly. Always cut straight across. Your doctor can remove pieces of the nail that pierce the skin.
- Hammer toes occur when the tendon in your toes become shortened. They can negatively affect your sense of balance. To prevent this condition make sure that you wear shoes with plenty of toe room.
- Bunions develop when the knuckles of your toes are inflamed and the bones do not fit into the joints properly. You can treat the pain of bunions with anti-inflammatory medicines.
- Warts are caused by viruses and they can spread if left untreated. Your doctor can remove them through burning, freezing or cutting them off.
- If your shoes cause friction on your feet, you can develop corns and calluses. Make sure that you buy properly fitting shoes to avoid this source of foot pain.
- Even here in Palm Beach, Florida, the skin on your feet can get dry and cracked in the winter. Make sure that you keep your feet moisturized to avoid painful splitting and cracking.
- Athletes foot and other fungal infections are very common. Make sure that you always completely dry your feet after swimming and wear sandals in the shower at the gym to avoid this itchy and painful foot affliction.
The best way to prevent foot and ankle pain is to wear proper shoes that offer support and fit correctly. If your shoes are too tight, or cause extra un-needed strain on your feet due to their ‘fashionable’ design, you may be creating more foot pain for yourself than necessary.