If you are experiencing leg pain it is important that you don’t ignore it, as it could be a sign of something serious. Any pain in your leg that is new and persistent is a reason to visit your South Florida doctor.
Leg pain can have a number of causes. One of the more common causes of leg pain as we get older is venous congestion, a buildup of fluid in the legs. This occurs as a result of blood that begins to pool in the legs instead of circulating normally, which can be caused by inflammation in a vein or by varicose veins. Symptoms include pain and swelling. The pain is usually described as a cramping or burning feeling.
Your doctor can do a physical examination of your legs to determine if your pain is caused by venous congestion. If this is determined to be the cause, there are a number of ways to treat it. Treatments include:
- Increasing your level of physical activity. Ideally, you should be getting thirty minutes of exercise five times a week. Try taking regular walks around Delray Beach to help your circulation.
- Wearing compression hosiery. Compression hosiery helps relieve fluid buildup by applying continuous pressure to the legs. They can be purchased online or at many Palm Beach area drug stores.
- Losing weight. Excess weight can contribute to leg pain and varicose veins.
- Avoiding excessive standing. Standing for extended periods of time can make venous congestion and varicose veins worse.
- Elevating the feet. Recline with your legs elevated above your heart for fifteen to thirty minutes to relieve pain and swelling.
- Varicose vein treatment. Surgical removal of veins, Endovenous Laser Treatment and Sclerotherapy are all options for treating leg pain caused by varicose veins.